Turning Points and Opening Doors

Monday, July 16, 2007

It was wonderful visiting with all my friends and the Ditzy Chix at the RWA Conference in Dallas. I'll be talking about the great times in future posts; however, I also experienced one of those opening door moments.

I'd been toying with an urban fantasy concept and attended a workshop about world building by a former Florida Romance Writers' member Linnea Sinclair. Linnea's gone on to great things with her writing, including winning a Rita last year. On Sunday when I was walking toward my gate at the airport, I glanced into a restaurant and saw Linnea sitting inside. I was tired so I continued on for two more steps, paused and turned back.

By doing so I hit a personal turning point. After sitting down and chatting a spell, I mentioned the reason I had attended her workshop was that I was working on building a world for a book concept. She asked me about it and then came the lightbulbs a'flashing. All the ideas, information. It was amazing. Before I knew it, it was time for me to catch my plane. I spent the next 2 1/2 hours writing out answers to questions Linnea had posed and asking new questions myself.

I almost walked past a new door in my life. Instead, I have a whole new world of writing opening before me...so check out Linnea's website at www.linneasinclair.com.

:) Carol

1 comments:

Toni Lea Andrews said...

How exciting! Can't wait to see it. My Sept 1 release was marketed as "Urban Fantasy" but I'm building my world very gradually as the series progresses. It's really fun making reality bend to your will. ;)